'Trends' that make you say 'Huh?'
The Food Channel, CultureWaves and the Mintel research firm teamed up to create the TV channel's annual "Top 10 Beverage Trends" list released this week.
Kay Logsdon, editor-in-chief of The Food Channel, said the list confirmed what the network has seen in the marketplace.
"It indicated we're drinking more water these days, although we like to dress it up a little. And, it told us that coupons have little or no influence on whether we purchase a beverage at a fast-food restaurant."
Here are the "trends," in the words of the great seers.
1. D.I.Y. Flavor: Many of us are taking flavor matters into our own hands.
2. Parental Discretion Advised: We're still seeing lots of buzz around beverages and kids.
3. Iced Coffee Is Scalding Hot: Consumption of this cold caffeinated beverage has heated up.
4. For Medicinal Purposes Only: There's certainly no shortage of ways to "drink to your health."
5. Sipping Seasonally and Simply: In much the same way we're eating local and choosing foods when they're in season, we're making a more conscious effort to drink that way, too.
6. Fast Food Beyond the Fizz: There are changes happening here, too, with specialty drinks getting as much play as burgers and fries.
7. Craft Beers: The Buzz Is Back: While overall beer sales are flat these days, sales of craft brews are seeing double-digit increases.
8. Bourbon Booming: The retro revival of the classic cocktail has hip, young consumers bellying up to the bar for whiskey.
9. Show Biz: While the food generally takes center stage in restaurant exhibitionism, beverages are being offered more starring roles.
10. Drinking Ourselves Thin: We want to enjoy our drinks without drinking in the extra calories."
If most of these 10 "trends" leave you saying "Huh?," you're not alone.
To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Tasting Notes latest entry.
Back to Dowd's Guides home page.
Posted by William M. Dowd at 2:29 PM