Beer champs come from everywhere
Beers and ales from 10 different states took top category honors in the 12th annual United States Beer Tasting Championship in Chicago.
A total of 339 beers from 126 breweries were examined across 11 different beer categories. Within each category, the USBTC determined both a Grand Champion and the best entry from each of six U.S. regions: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic/Southeast, Midwest, Rockies/Southwest, California and Northwest/Pacific.
The Grand Champions, by category:
• Barleywine: Old Ruffian, Great Divide Brewing Co., Denver, CO.
• Strong/Old Ale: Natty Red, Eugene City Brewery, Eugene, OR.
• Imperial Stout: Bourbon County Stout, Goose Island Brewing Co., Chicago, IL.
• Stout: Dragonstooth Stout, Elysian Brewing Co., Seattle, WA.
• Porter: Robust Porter, Smuttynose Brewing Co., Portsmouth, NH.
• Brown Ale: Legend Brown Ale, Legend Brewing Co., Richmond, VA.
• Scottish-Style Ale: Kilt Tilter, Middle Ages Brewing Co., Syracuse, NY.
• Belgian-Style Ale: The Reverend, Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, CO.
• Belgian Tripel: Allagash Triple, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, ME.
• Dark Lager/Dunkel: Black Bavarian, Sprecher Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI.
• Vienna/Marzen Lager: Winter Skal, Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI.
• Spice Beer: Red Nose Porter, Pike Brewing Co., Seattle, WA.
The regional winners from each category:
• Northeast: Barleywine, Wheat Wine Ale, Smuttynose Brewing Co., Portsmouth, NH; Strong/Old Ale, Prelude Special Ale, The Shipard Brewing Co., Portland, ME; Imperial Stout, Imperial Stout from McNeill’s Brewery, Brattleboro, VT; Stout, Oatmeal Stout, McNeill’s Brewery; Porter, Robust Porter, Smuttynose; Brown Ale, Pig’s Ear Brown Ale, Woodstock Inn Brewery, North Woodstock, NH; Scottish-Style Ale, Samuel Adams Scotch Ale, Boston Beer Co., Boston, MA; Belgian-Style Ale, Four, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, ME; Dunkels Lager, Humperdink German Style Black Beer, McNeill’s Brewery; Vienna/Marzen Lager, Octoberfest, Smuttynose; Spice Beer, Wassai, McNeill’s Brewery.
• Mid-Atlantic/Southeast: Barleywine, Old Horizontal, Victory Brewing Co., Downington, PA; Strong/Old Ale, Loose Cannon, Clipper City Brewing Co., Baltimore, MD; Imperial Stout, Winter Stout, The St. George Brewing Co., Hampton, VA; Stout, Stony Man Stout, Shenandoah Brewing Co., Alexandria, VA; Porter, Suffern Station Porter, Ramapo Valley Brewery, Hillburn, NY; Brown Ale , Legend Brown Ale, Legend Brewing Co., Richmond, VA; Scottish-Style Ale, Kilt Tilter, Middle Ages Brewing Co., Syracuse, NY; Belgian-Style Ale, Twelve Victory Brewing Co., Downington, PA; Belgian Trippel, Triple, Stoudt’s Brewing Co., Adamstown, PA; Dunkels Lager, Saranac Nut Brown Lager, FX Matt Brewing Co., Utica, NY; Vienna/Marzen Lager, BaltoMarzHon, Clipper City Brewing Co.; Spice Beer, Festive Ale, Sweetwater Brewing Co., Atlanta, GA.
• Midwest: Barleywine, Behemoth Blonde, Three Floyd’s Brewing Co., Munster, IN; Strong/Old Ale, Winter Ale, Summit Brewing Co., St. Paul, MN; Imperial Stout, Bourbon County Stout, Goose Island Brewing Co., Chicago, IL; Stout, Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout, Bell’s Brewing Co., Galesburg, MI; Porter , Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, OH; Brown Ale, Rocky’s Revenge, Tyanena Brewing Co., Lake Mills, WI; Scottish-Style Ale, Warped Speed Scotch Ale, Lake Louie Brewing, Arena, WI; Belgian-Style Ale, Pere Jacques, Goose Island Brewing Co.; Dunkels Lager, Black Bavarian, Sprecher Brewing Co., Glendale, WI; Vienna/Marzen Lager, Winter Skal, Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI; Spice Beer, Christmas Ale, Great Lakes Brewing Co.
• Rockies/Southwest: Barleywine, Old Ruffian, Great Divide Brewing Co., Denver, CO; Strong/Old Ale, Old Jubilation, Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, CO; Imperial Stout, The Czar, Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, CO; Stout, Zonker Stout, Snake River Brewing Co., Jackson Hole, WY; Porter, Black Jack Porter, Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, CO; Brown Ale, Ellie’s Brown Ale, Avery Brewing Co.; Scottish-Style Ale, Old Chubb, Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery, Lyons, CO: Belgian-Style Ale, The Reverend, Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, CO; Tripel, New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, CO; Dunkels Lager, Kidd Lager, Fort Collins Brewery, Fort Collins, CO; Vienna/Marzen Lager, Alpinefest, Snake River Brewing Co.; Spice Beer, Z Lager, The Fort Collins Brewery, Fort Collins, CO.
• California: Barleywine, Old Blarney, Moylan’s Brewing Co., Novato, CA; Strong/Old Ale, White Knuckle Double IPA, Marlin Brewing Co., Marin Brewing Co., Larkspur, CA; Imperial Stout, Santa’s Little Helper, Pizza Port Brewery, Solana Beach, CA; Stout, Steelhead Stout, Mad River Brewing Co., Blue Lake, CA; Porter, Marin Brewing Co., Larkspur, CA; Brown Ale, Acme California Brown Ale, North Coast Brewing Co., Fort Bragg, CA; Scottish-Style Ale , Kiltlifter Scotch Ale, Moylan’s Brewing Co., Novato, CA; Belgian-Style Ale, Brother David’s Double, Anderson Valley Brewing Co., Booneville, CA; Dunkels Lager, no winner declared; Vienna/Marzen Lager, no winner declared; Spice Beer, Happy Holidaze, Marin Brewing Co.
• Northwest/Pacific: Barleywine, Old Woody Fish Brewing Co., Newport, OR; Stong/Old Ale, Natty Red, Eugene City Brewery, Eugene, OR; Imperial Stout, Imperial Stout, Rogue Brewery, Newport, OR; Stout, Dragonstooth Stout, Elysian Brewing Co., Seattle, WA; Porter, Mocha Porter, Rogue Brewery; Brown Ale, Frozen Lake Winter Ale, Coeur d’Alene Brewing Co., Coeur d’Alene, ID; Scottish-style Ale, Kilt Lifter, Pike Brewing Co., Seattle, WA; Belgian-Style Ale, Biere De Noel, Big Sky Brewing Co., Missoula, MT; Trippel, Rose, Hair of the Dog Brewery, Portland, OR; Dunkels Lager, Siletz Wooly Bully, Renegade Brewing Co., Siletz, OR; Vienna/Marzen Lager, Amber Lager, Missoula, MT; Spice Beer, Red Nose Porter, Pike Brewing Co.
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Brews Notebook latest entry.
Back to Dowd On Drinks home page.
Posted by William M. Dowd at 11:36 AM