U.S. beer competition includes a pro-am
Such sports as golf and tennis have long had their pro-am events in which professionals are teamed with talented amateurs.
The 25th annual Great American Beer Festival Competition has the same, and the award winners in the 39-entry field pairing professional brewmasters with American Homebrewers Association members were honored at the Oct. 1 awards event in Boulder, CO.
• Gold: Baltic Porter, Foothills Brewing, Winston-Salem, NC. Jamie Bartholomaus, brewmaster, Tom Nolan, American Homebrewers Association member.
• Silver: Hop Dog IPA, Papago Brewing Co., Scottsdale, AZ. Brewmaster Scott Yarosh, AHA member Barry Tingleff.
• Bronze: Whale’s Tail Pale Ale, Odell Brewing Co., Fort Collins, CO. Brewmaster Doug Odell, AHA member Ryan Thomas.
Craft brewers selected award-winning recipes from amateur brewers, then scaled them up and brewed them at their own facilities.
Other commercial competition winners:
• Large Brewing Company and Large Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL, Bob Newman
• Mid-Size Brewing Company and Mid-Size Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus, WI, Daniel J. Carey
• Small Brewing Company and Small Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Bear Republic Brewing Co., Healdsburg, CA, Richard G. Norgrove
• Large Brewpub and Large Brewpub Company Brewer of the Year
Pelican Pub & Brewery, Pacific City, OR, Darron R. S. Welch
• Small Brewpub and Small Brewpub Brewer of the Year
Flossmoor Station Brewing Co., Flossmoor, IL, Matt Van Wyk
Posted by William M. Dowd at 3:55 PM